Sudan massacre: Death toll crosses 100 after military’s violent crackdown on protestors

  • June 6, 2019

A massacre unfolded in Sudan on June 3 when the military launched a violent attack on protestors, which reportedly left at least 108 dead.  More than 500 were injured in the crackdown.

The carnage took place outside the military headquarters in Khartoum, the capital city, where activists and civilians from all spheres of life were protesting for a democratic transition.

The activists began their sit-in on April 6, demanding Omar al-Bashir, who had been in power since three decades, to step down. The sit-in continued even after Bashir was overthrown as people demanded for a civilian rule.

Paramilitary group, Rapid Support Forces (RSF), formerly known as the Janjaweed militia is being blamed for the violence.

Resultantly, the activists have refused to continue negotiations with the military.

The Transitional Military Council (TMC) that has been ruling Sudan since the ouster of Bashar announced on Tuesday that it had decided to cancel all that had been previously agreed with protesters about the country’s transition and that they will hold elections within nine months.

“The Military council decides on the following: cancelling what was agreed on and stopping negotiating with the Alliance for Freedom and Change, and to call for general elections within a period not exceeding nine months,” General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said in a statement broadcast on state television early on Tuesday.

According to africanews, the TMC had agreed a three-year transition period for transferring power to a civilian administration and that parliament be composed of 300 members for the transition, with around two-thirds from the protest alliance and the rest drawn from other political groups before talks broke down on May 20.

The international community has strongly condemned the killing of civilians by the military. The United States called the act abhorrent, while the United Nations Secretary General António Guterres said that he was “alarmed” by reports that officers had opened fire in a hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com