AWIEF has launched a new initiative on “Enterprise Development for Women-Owned Ventures in Green Energy.” The Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum has also officially confirmed its call for applications for the Startup Incubator in Malawi and Nigeria.
Sponsored by AWDF (https:/AWDF.org), the 12-month program will support 70 women engaged in renewable and green energy production in two African countries – Malawi and Nigeria. In addition, the program will be funded by the African Women in the region. The program offers two components that can be implemented in two phases:
- Startup Incubator: 30 women in each country (60 in total) supported in designing, refining and launching their renewable and green energy business ideas.
- Accelerator: 10 established renewable and green energy women-owned/led ventures (5 from each country) will receive entrepreneurial training and preparation for investment-readiness. The programme offers opportunity of accessing venture finance.
This call for application is for the Startup Incubator programme.
The Startup Incubator is built for people from Malawi and Nigeria who have an idea for solutions to one of the biggest social and environmental issues in terms of clean and green energy businesses. The Venture Incubator Program helps women turn their concepts of clean and green energy projects into a product or service they choose to buy. People or teams winners will be educated and encouraged to realize their ideas.
Startup Incubator offers the participants:
- Incubator Modules including Pitch Training
- Mentorship support
- Expert Guidance and Tailored Support to make your business idea a reality
- Networking and Peer Learning opportunity with like-minded entrepreneurs
- The best pitches will receive an opportunity to pitch their business idea at the AWIEF Annual Conference (Dec 2-3, 2020; physical + virtual) – Africa’s number 1 women entrepreneurship conference for dialogue on issues of business – in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Who is eligible:
- Women over 18 years of age resident in Malawi or Nigeria, and fluent in English
- Business Venture Sector Focus in Renewable & Green Energy Sector including: Solar, wind, water (hydro), biomass, biogas, biofuel, and other green energy solutions including concepts for sustainable energy-technologies for cooking
- Business venture to be incorporated and operated in Malawi or Nigeria
- Program participants committed to working 20+ hours a week on their venture during September and October 2020
- Applicants can apply as individuals or a team with a maximum of 3 members.
To submit applications for the Startup Incubator, please follow this link: https://bit.ly/3j0T4Az
Applications close on 15th August 2020 at 23:59 GMT.
Inputs from Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF)